- Learn More
- Our Programs
- Support Our Work
State Homeless Prevention Fund
In 2007, the Emergency Fund was selected to administer the State of Illinois’ Homeless Prevention Funds for residents of Chicago. These funds can be used for security deposits, rent, mortgages, and utilities for families who are able to document a temporary economic crisis beyond their control, including:
- Loss of employment
- Medical disability or emergency
- Loss or delay of a public benefit
- Natural disaster
- Substantial change in household composition
- Victimization by criminal activity
- Illegal action by a landlord
- Displacement by government or private action
- Other conditions constituting a hardship comparable to the others on this list.
Individuals seeking assistance should call 3-1-1 and ask for Short-Term Help to be screened for State funds. Please note: Households must meet the above requirements and can only secure State funding once every two years.